Deborah Brown founded Compass Elder Care Consultants after working many years in various settings of senior living. Her reputation as a compassionate consultant is built on a deep understanding of the needs of older adults and their families. She has worked with hundreds of clients giving them peace of mind as they navigate the complex world of senior care.
Her love for care management began while managing a memory care community that specializes in cases that others could not manage. She educates, offers support, and has those tough conversations that guide families through the difficult decisions that must be made. Deborah has a unique talent of seeing the moments of joy and helping families participate in these moments together.
Our Founder, Deborah Brown
Deborah has over 21 years of healthcare experience in a wide variety of settings including hospital, assisted living, memory care and hospice. Working in health care management has provided the foundation for becoming a care manager. Her commitment is to help older adults and their families make informed decisions about the necessary care needed for their loved one.
Deborah’s expertise is in geriatric care, dementia care and navigating senior housing placements. Deborah listens, understands, and connects with families in crisis. As a Certified Senior Advisor®, Certified Dementia Practitioner® and a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE) Administrator, her experience provides unique insight into which communities can provide a higher level of care for your loved one. She knows what it takes because she has done it!
Deborah is involved with many senior organizations and industry groups throughout California and is a member of the Aging Life Care Association. She lives in Orange County with her family and enjoys spending time on the water either kayaking or sailing.
Return to top
What is a care manager?
A care manager is dedicated to helping clients age well while also supporting quality of life for family members. This phase of a family’s journey together is often complicated. There is more to do than there is time. Relatives may live far away. Relations can become strained.
Our professional training and knowledge of best practices can ease the journey.
Every family is unique. As care managers, we apply our insights and skills in 8 key areas to provide you with a positive care plan tailored to your family’s individual needs and strengths.
We offer expertise regarding:
- Health and disability: Through assessments and experience, we can help you understand what your loved one does well, and in what areas he or she could use additional help.
- Finances: A review of the current monetary situation will result in a plan to make resources stretch as efficiently as possibly while maintaining the desired level of comfort, dignity and safety.
- Housing: Based on the assessments, recommendations can be made for optimal living situations now, with a view to likely changes in the foreseeable future.
- Family: Sibling disagreements and old family history often make the aging journey difficult. Our training provides for skilled facilitation of family meetings and creation of a plan that takes everyone’s needs into account.
- Local Resources: There are programs available to help, but it’s difficult to know which one is the most appropriate for your situation. Save time and money by letting us objectively evaluate the situation and connect you to the resources best suited to your needs.
- Advocacy: Our comprehensive knowledge of the disjointed health care system allows us to monitor quality and lobby for the care and treatment your family wants.
- Legal: Let us help you identify issues and get key paperwork in order.
- Crisis Intervention: The unexpected is simply a fact of life in aging. We are experienced with elder emergencies and are ready to jump in at a moment’s notice.
Compass Elder Care Consultants is in the business of helping aging adults and their families to live well throughout the aging process. Give us a call at 949-466-7795 to discuss the many ways we can help you.
Return to top
How We Are Different
What makes a care manager stand apart from the others is the commitment to stay focused on the needs of the client and family. Others may offer services for less, but what you receive cannot help but be influenced by the payment structure.
Hospital- or insurance-based case managers are employees of the health care system. They are good professionals. Their focus, however, is to address the issues of patients within the institution and to make efficient use of services for their organization.
We are based in the community and work with aging adults wherever they live. We provide continuity of care across all settings. We include the family and focus on improving quality of life for the older adult and their grown children.
Senior advisors are paid referral fees to suggest elder care facilities. As a general rule, they have a more limited sphere of knowledge and do not hold a professional degree needed to give them expertise in the 8 key areas of elder care. Only those facilities willing to pay a finder’s fee will be included in their list of suggestions. There may be a more appropriate option, but it will not be mentioned if the facility does not pay for referrals.
We provide a Transitional Consultant Service. Our focus is 100% on the needs of your family and your aging loved ones. We apply our considerable skill and years of training to your unique situation. If living at home is no longer the best option and it is decided to transition your loved one to a community, we will provide the Transitional Consultant services. These services include: developing an initial care plan, meeting with the community team to ensure that the care plan is being followed, providing support for any transition behavioral management issues that my arise after the transition, and being responsive and available for any concerns from you or the community.
When the issue is safety and quality of life, you deserve the best!
Return to top